Friday, April 27, 2012

X ~ X Marks the Error





It's time to talk grades, but not to give grades. It's time, perhaps, to mark it with an X as in wrong. But probably not. I've invited you to TRY to write a sentence for me using as much Swedish as you can. Don't worry about your grade or being wrong, because trying is all it takes. I promise not to mark anything with an X!

To help you out, here's a list of all the words we've studied. Of course you could read them out of the sidebar, but then you'd miss our bonus words, and those might be the very words you're looking for! So without further ado:

alfabet = alphabet
bil = car
stuga = cottage
stugor = cottages
sommar = summer
dalahäst = traditional Swedish wooden horse, popular souvenir
hejsan = casual hello greeting
egen = one of my very own
docka = doll
far = father
pappa = daddy
mor = mother
mamma = mommy
Farmor = father's mother
Farfar = father's father
Morfar = mother's father
Mormor = mother's mother
god = good
morgon = morning
klass = class
gaffel = fork
hoppa = hop
is = ice
jag = I
älskar = love
dig = you
lagom = just about exactly right
kaffe kopp = coffee cup
midsommar = summer solstice
dans = dance
namnsdag = name's day
ovanligt = unusual, out of the norm
pålägg = sandwich topping
smörgåsbord = buffet table of goodies to make sandwiches
sy = sew
stjärngossarna = star boys from Lucia celebration
tack = thanks
= so
mycket = much
undervisa = to teach
vädra = let the fresh air in
jag = I, also learned in “I love you”
vill = will
ha = have
en = an, one
öl = beer

Do you see how much you've learned? Now grab a couple of those cool words and write me a sentence. You may insert English words. You will NOT have to pronounce it – it's a written activity – and it will not be graded. This is a participation activity, and I have an alternate activity. If you don't want to write a sentence, just tell me which Swedish word you like the best and why. Don't stress that either. Anyone who has visited in April is eligible for the button.  Coming soon.

Don't forget May 7th for the start of our reflections post week.

I hope to have your participation button up sometime today, so watch for that and grab it. Let me know if you're flying it, and I'll come visit your blog and take a look!

Keep on going! Only two letters left! YOU CAN DO IT!

18 comments:

Brian Miller said...

alright...thanks for the list...i will work on it this weekend....oy...haha

Gossip_Grl said...

God Morgan, Jag alskar kaffe! :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Too early in the morgon!

Judith Graves said...

Awesome theme for the A to Z Challenge! Here's my crack at it....

Ha bil? Ha somma smorgasbord!

Laurita said...

Here goes:

God morgon, Farmor. Jag vill ha en kaffe.

Tack så mycket.

Dani said...

God Morgon. Igår rullade jag ned bilfönstret att släpa in den nya luften. Just stoppa vid för en tillfällig hallåhälsning.

Marianne (Mare) Baker Ball said...

Oh my! I didn't find your blog until late in the game and I don't feel adept enough to attempt a sentence in Swedish! But, a cool idea, I hope you get many responses!
?Two more days! What will we do then?!?!

Cheryl said...

Jag talade med min mor om hennes uttal av mamma. Hon var inte imponerad. Jag var. Jag älskar släktforskning.

Klart att jag fuskade! Jag ville berätta det här utan att någon annan vet. Det är ingen hemlighet, men hennes svar var ledsen.

Susan Oloier said...

Jag alskar (the) stuga (of) pappa. I am sure I messed that up, and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But it's fun nonetheless :-)

Lynn Proctor said...

you teach us so much--i will have to try this later!!

Debra Harris-Johnson said...

YEA! I already did my sentence and I didn't get an X so where is my button already. LOL

Maryannwrites said...

Late in the day for me, too, and I really need to get back to my writing. So I will just say how much I like smörgåsbord = buffet table of goodies to make sandwiches. It is always fun to be creative with food and you sure can at a smorgasbord.

Jenny said...

X is such a hard letter, Miss Tina! Good for you!

Unknown said...

Lördagen den 28 april 2012

Kära Tina!

Bra gjort! Ett litet läxförhör skadar inte!

Jag älskar svenska språket. Enda nackdelen med svenskan är att det ett litet språk jämfört med andra. Jag önskar att fler skulle kunna svenska. Och vips, har du skrivit en hel månad om svenska språket och dess betyder för dig, och väckt intresse för vårt kära svenska språk och lärt ut många betydelsefulla svenska ord!

Jag tänker inte översätta det här. (Eller ska jag vara snäll och göra det?)

Duger mina meningar eller vill du att jag ska använda ord från listan?

Till exempel:
Jag dricker aldrig kaffe;
Jag äger ingen bil;
Jag älskade mina mor- och farföräldrar;
Det var mormor som lärde mig svenska;
Jag står i evig tacksamhetsskuld till henne.

Stora kramar,
Anna

Anna's A to Z the letter Y



Anna's A to Z the letter X

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Try this link instead:

Anna's A to Z the letter Y

Anna

Unknown said...

And try this link instead:

Anna's A to Z the letter X

Anna

Megan said...

Oh my goodness, I just found your blog today and I'm 1/4 Swedish. I would love to learn more (well, any Swedish for that matter). Love it!

Blessings to you!

W is for Wordless Weekends!